The quality of our sleep goes hand in hand with our diet and lifestyle choices and the Tofu Tahini Salad Bowl has been created with ingredients that are rich in the nutrients needed to help create the all-important sleep neurotransmitter, melatonin.
Tofu is a good source of tryptophan, an amino acid essential to producing the sleep hormone, melatonin.
Our sleep pathway is regulated by the production of neurotransmitters. Firstly serotonin is needed and this has to be further converted into melatonin. All of this is helped along by some specific vitamins and minerals. Sleeping in a dark room is also an essential part of melatonin production and lifestyle and dietary factors can also affect your sleep, such as caffeine, alcohol or stress.
- The recommended daily intake of tryptophan is 3mg per kg of body weight and a 100g portion of tofu will provide approx. 23mg tryptophan.
- Tryptophan is essential for converting amino acids into neurotransmitters to help create serotonin and melatonin.
- Tofu is a really good source of calcium and one serve meets approx. one-third of the required daily intake (RDI is 1000mg).
- A mineral-rich vegetable providing some potassium, magnesium, calcium and iron.
- Sweet potato also contains some vitamin B3 (niacin), a vitamin essential in the production of tryptophan.
- A good source of tryptophan, the amino acid essential for the production of both serotonin and melatonin.
- 1 tbsp contains 88mg calcium and calcium is needed to help convert tryptophan from an amino acid and into a neurotransmitter.
- 1 tbsp contains approximately 10% of your daily magnesium requirements. Magnesium supports muscle relaxation and is a great mineral for improving sleep quality.
If you are experiencing any issues with regulating your sleep, I’d recommend visiting a Nutritionist who can provide you with individualised and tailored advice and if you are Sydney based, you can come and see me at Wellnation Clinics. Find out more here.